Friday, July 5, 2013

Day 14 - Welcome to the Jungle

There was a competition this morning that got Chris out of his room by 5:30 am. Our TD was hiding somewhere and whoever found him 1st (with the answers to the crossword puzzle) would win the prize. Chris was determined! I was checking out the butterfly garden, when next thing I know, Chris is talking to quietly... He found TD in the butterfly bushes!

Today we stopped at a pineapple farm. Why? Because Costa Rica is the main producer of pineapple in the world. We went to Finca Corsicana; they distribute to Whole Foods. We filled our bellies with the best pineapple I have ever tasted. I wish I could say I learned something but the guide's humor ("You are right, congratulations. NO!") made me more confused than when I started. But I can tell you you're wasting your time if you pick a pineapple by pulling out a leaf, smelling it or poking it! And you need to put it right into the refrigerator; it doesn't "ripen" on your counter, it ferments!

Our destination today was Tortuguero on the Caribbean coast. There are only 2 ways to get there - either fly or take a boat. There are no roads, only canals. We took a boat. Our TD has definitely hyped up this part of the tour so our expectations are pretty high. His response to every missed wild life has been, "don't worry you will see it in Tortuguero."

We are staying in an Eco-lodge. That is a fancy way of glorifying rustic; you can't put toilet paper into the toilet! The rooms don't have windows but at least they have screens to keep out the bigger bugs! Greg warned me, "Don't get freaked out but there are ants in the bathroom. Big ants." I actually had to put my phone down at night because its light was attracting too many bugs.

For Glenn's birthday the resort surprised him with a cake. Craig, not usually the loud, blurting type, scoops up a big bite and exclaims uncontrollably, "Holy crap. This is the worst cake I've ever had." His blatant rudeness had us in stitches!

This rustic hide-away is making for some great family memories. Thanks mom!!

2 comments:

  1. Blatant rudeness??!! You suck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You say that eco-lodge is a fancy way of glorifying rustic. Isn't rustic a fancy way of glorifying a dump/dive? Perhaps your rudeness isn't as blatant? Hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete